Monday, July 17, 2006

Go Figure...






Some selections from another sauna shoot this past weekend, this time featuring Kirsten, an outstanding figure model from up near Cleveland. Kirsten was happy to scamper around the studio building and outdoors in the buff, partly because it was so damn hot (check out the first vertical shot, the rear view... that is genuine model sweat), but because she's completely comfortable nude and wouldn't mind if passersby saw her in the altogether. Before I started working with models, I would doubt if I knew anyone comfortable enough to do that, but I guess it makes sense if you're going to be a figure model, you need to GET comfortable. But I think it works the other way around... those who don't mind being nude (or flat out prefer it) would naturally drift to figure modeling, especially if they have the figure for the job.

I guess what strikes me odd is that, even though SHE doesn't mind, and even though the building is primarily artists' studios, I still catch heat from management if I'm spotted with a nude model outside my studio. Aren't we all grown-ups? Aren't most of us artists? It's private property, and I think I've seen a child in the building 3 times in almost 7 months -- and most children would probably think it's either very funny or very cool to see a "naked lady" posing in a doorway. But somehow it's still a big deal... another way we're still a puritanical culture. I would make the argument that the human body is one of the most beautiful "miracles" in the world, so why be so concerned when you see one wandering around?

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but you're probably too busy checking out the photos to read the text anyway, right? So, here's to Kirsten and the many other confident women (and men), without whom, figure photography would be far less enjoyable.

Update 7/18 -- more good news... two of these images earned Showcase honors on OMP. The top one of her in the "Classic L" pose won on my portfolio, and the one standing in the open doorway earned one on Kirsten's portfolio. I guess sweating the details (and the entire shoot) pays off!

No comments: