Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why blog?

In response to a request from the online magazine Reconstruction, I wanted to just say a few words about why I maintain this blog. It's pretty simple, really.

Since I seriously returned to photography last fall, I've been creating a lot of images -- headshots, casual, fashion/glamour, art nudes, etc. Generally, the process is to do the shoot, edit images, provide some to the model, post a few on my online portfolios, and hope the model likes them enough to do the same. The idea being to improve and expand my portfolio, and attract more models, more prominent models, and ultimately improve my image and reputation as a photographer. I've been working towards the point where my images can earn me money, either by selling the images, or by charging models to shoot work for their portfolio, or even doing shoots for people who aren't models, but who want "professional quality" images of themselves. Also, there's the potential of being hired for commercial projects. I'm getting to that point, and starting to earn income here and there, but don't have any plans to quit my day job. I've also been working toward the point where images can be exhibited in shows and galleries and have people purchase prints, and took a first step towards that by getting work accepted into The Dirty Show earlier this year. Ultimately, I'd like to do books and submissions to magazines, too, but one step at a time.

So, those are some of the practical aspects of why I'm shooting. But the primary reason is that I just love making beautiful images, and I want to share them with people who appreciate them. I also enjoy telling the story of some images, or just simply praising a model for a particularly productive shoot. I also wanted to keep a journal of my experiences, primarily photography related, but sometimes slipping into personal matters. So blogging is a perfect outlet for that. On the other hand, I'm not entirely comfortable for people who search the web looking for "free nekkid ladies" and I've had some misgivings about being a source for that, which is why I've resisted the temptation to pump up traffic just for the sake of traffic. I currently get a modest but steady amount of visitors, which doesn't seem to spike based on the content of a day's image -- I interpret that as meaning the bulk of my traffic is coming from people interested in the art aspect as much or more than the nudity aspect, but who knows really. But I do see the potential of my blog as a promotional tool, and once I get more commercial product available, then it might make sense to start pushing the blog further into the light.

Now that it's been a few months, I do feel obliged to keep the blog updated a few times each week so as to not disappoint regular readers. Not quite sure why I feel that obligation... I guess like most people, I like a little attention, but in some ways it feels like just keeping up my end of a conversation. So, for you regular readers, and for any first time visitors, welcome, and I look forward to hearing what you think about what I'm presenting here.

The image is Crystallynn. Look for more from our shoot soon.

2 comments:

Lin said...

I know exactly what you mean about feeling obliged to update the blog several times a week ! Strange isn't it ?
It does feel as if all of the regular photographer/model bloggers are having a daily conversation. And it feels as if there is a real community going.

We regular readers do appreciate your prose. And I come back every day for the beautiful art AND the writing :-)

Anonymous said...

Gary, as a part-time photographer who would love to make some money from time to time, I found your comments on expanding your portfolio and gaining exposure useful and interesting. Please keep us informed on your strategies and progress on that front! Thanks.