Monday, January 08, 2007

Group Shoot Goodies

Some people have asked me if it's possible to get good images in a group shoot setting, and while it does present some challenges, it also offers a number of opportunities. Both these images are of the vivacious, curvaceous JJ Plush, done at the last Collingwood group shoot. The top pair was shot using my "portable box" -- where I set up a backdrop, a privacy curtain, and one or two studio lights. Shooting nudes out in the open is discouraged there (not to mention uncomfortable for some models), so this set-up allows me to do studio-style art nudes with the various models who are available at the event, but for whom it's not so easy to make a trip down to my studio to shoot.

The second shot illustrates the advantages of shooting at the Collingwood location... there are many beautiful architectural details and settings in the building, combined with a lot of rustic, weathered brick and stone, hardwood floors, and a variety of other goodies. This shot of JJ is in an area that's slightly "out of bounds" for shooting, but the light and details were so nice, I couldn't resist stealing a few quick frames.

From my experience, not many group shoots offer such interesting locales, but I think more organizers are keeping this in mind when setting up group events. I've written before about the "batting practice" type group shoots, which I still feel are of limited worth, but as long as the structure is that models and photographers can pair off and explore various places to shoot at the location, a group shoot can be a good way to get to work with new people, and can lead to a very productive day.

No comments: