Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Redemption

A couple shots from a recent session with a model who goes by the moniker Redemption. I meant to ask her about that after the shoot, but it slipped my mind in the face of some rather challenging Chinese food. I'd only met her very briefly a couple times prior, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Turned out to be quite a fun and free-wheeling sort of shoot, which included her singing (quite well actually) and more than a couple karate-style kicks. Initially it had been planned as a rather complicated shoot involving another model and a photographer a bit further down the road (we'd each shoot, then change partners) but wound up being just me and Redemption.

In general, I find that I do my best work when it's just one-on-one with the model, or sometimes two models. I think it's a reflection of my personality in general... put me in a group of even three people, and I tend to sit back and listen, probably to the point of being thought aloof. But with just one person, I feel I'm much different -- more at ease and funnier and just a better conversationalist. In a lot of ways, a photo shoot is like a conversation -- a simple back and forth interaction between people, give and take, with each person helping to steer the direction, introduce ideas and then expand on them. Another similarity is that you want the good ones to just go on and on into the night. Thanks for a great conversation, Red! We'll chat again soon, I hope.

2 comments:

dfklldoind said...

Gary,

Great photos...again..you have a knack for the jumping photos...well done. What I like about this one in particular is your perfect use seamless paper (unless you have perfected some other background/foreground technique)....the feeling of infinate vast space...it seems to not start nor end, but go on forever. And a perfect capture of subject at the apex of jump. Great job.

bt

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,

Thanks ever so much for your hospitality in Dayton. I had a great time and am thrilled by the images you captured. I look forward to another collaboration soon. Thanks again.

red