Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Final Frontier

"Space...the final frontier."

Earlier today I signed the rental agreement on a new studio space. As evidenced above, Danaid and I were able to give it a quick "audition" the other night and got some nice shots, and I felt at home almost immediately. I actually didn't get a lot of sleep that night because my mind was racing considering the possibilities.

I'm getting it "as is" so will give it a coat of paint (probably a few areas of different colors) for starters, but it does come with a working air conditioning unit AND a sink. I'm thinking the sink will allow things to get a bit messier on shoots, so watch out models. Plus, I'm just a few doors down from Dave Levingston's studio, and we've been talking about a cooperative agreement that could work out very well, too.

My plan is to keep this space as empty as possible to have room for more elaborate set-ups, although anyone who's been to my house knows that may not be entirely realistic. But it should give me more of a sense of permanance since I won't have to worry about vacating after each shoot, so some interesting set-ups and such should result, too. Probably won't be booking a lot right off the bat, since it'll take time to get the place ready to go, and I've been looking at shooting less in September and October to catch up on other matters, but it's nice to have a place to call "home" that's not actually my house. :)

(On edit: The shot of Danaid at the top just showcased on OMP... as Iris pointed out to me "your new studio is bringing you good luck already." Ends a long dry spell there.)

7 comments:

Lin said...

Congrats on the new studio!
Rich and are are both officially Jealous!

Unknown said...

Well, that didn't take long! Your home away from home.... its a great space - congrats!

Dave Rudin said...

Good luck with the new space, Gary. Maybe I'll drop by to see you sometime.

Anonymous said...

Gary,
I'm a former Dayton resident who like to keep an eye on the art scene in Southwest Ohio. I'm really taken by your work. I left another comment on an older post where you invited us lurkers to come out of the shadows, but I wanted to say in some place more visible that I really like your style of photography, and your writings on your craft are very enlightening to me. Best of luck.

Meagan said...

Wow, Gary, that's exciting! Maybe I could help you paint? (Can't guarantee how good the paint job would be, but I'm sure it'd be more fun than painting alone!)

|ris said...

Good luck with the new place!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Nice stuff you got, fabulous pics.
Well, I do have also in my sleeves, if you have time don't forget to visit

photosorcery.com

Many thanks