Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Altered Egos

This is what I wrote a few days ago before Roadrunner stranded my home computer. Rather than edit that one, I get to add a new one with another picture.

Here we have Miss May, definitely one of the more "alt" of the alt models I've worked with. Strikingly beautiful face, tall, dancer's figure, the effect is intensified by her personal style which includes a variety of exotic piercings, and her hair almost completely shorn except for a forehead lock and locks at either temple. She is a fixture in the punk/goth scene in Northwest Ohio who recently began modeling from time to time. I had the chance to work with her at a group shoot back in May and we did two sets -- one in her full punk regalia, and another that focused more on her glamourous side. Sort of a twisted Audrey Hepburn in a way. I'm hoping to work with her again soon.

I've worked with a number of "alt" models over the past year or so, and have really gained an appreciation for interesting tattoo work and a strategically placed piercing. For supposedly being the "alternative" scene, it seems to rival mainstream modeling at least in terms of numbers, visibiilty, and the beauty of the models. Of course, it's not always easy to tell where to draw the line. I would say that probably 75% of the models I work with have at least one tattoo or non-traditional piercing, and a lot of them look at "alt" modeling (including fetish and bondage work) as more of a wardrobe choice or role playing, while some "live the lifestyle" to a greater extent as part of their personality. As a photographer, having a wider range of what is "beautiful" presents many more new opportunities than limiting oneself to a more traditional range of "model good looks." I enjoy my forays to the alt side, and I hope those who look at my work appreciate the beauty I find in these models, too.

No comments: