Monday, September 25, 2006

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Well, The Dirty Show 7.5 is now history, and I've now officially been part of an art show. It was really an impressive selection of work, and not quite as "Dirty" as the name implies. Yes, every piece did have an element of nudity or sexuality, but all of it was artistic. Some very raw, some extremely refined, some almost subliminal. A lot of it had a real sense of humor about it, too. I was told that they rejected something like 11 out of 12 pieces submitted, so if that's the case, it was a pretty elite crowd. Some very well known names, and a number of international submissions even. The most expensive piece I saw was $13000, the least expensive was $40. Sadly, it seemed like a pretty low percentage of hanging pieces sold... I'd guess it was about 1 out of 8 or 10. It was suggested that the collectors/buyers may not have realized the show was going on, since it's traditionally held in February (hence the name Dirty Show 7.5), so perhaps that was the problem. Neither of my hanging pieces sold, but a few prints sold from the "Museum Store" (Thanks Chris).

The show/party itself on Saturday night was pretty cool... saw several models I've worked with, met one I'm scheduled to work with next month, and saw/met a number of other photographers and artists involved with the show. While not quite the total debauch I was somewhat expecting, there were a number of women wandering around topless with electrical tape pasties, a human sushi bar, and a variety of "acts" performing on the stage, and the like. Then again, we left rather early, so perhaps things got more out of control as the evening progressed. We stupidly obeyed the posted "no cameras" rule, but it seemed like we were about the only people without cameras there, so perhaps some images from the event will surface soon.

Thanks to the Dirty Show organizers for letting me be a part. Again, thanks to Dan, Chris, and of course Andi, my "Smut Mule" for all their help in motivating me to get my act together to enter, and their help in getting the work where it needed to be, when it needed to be there.

No comments: