Sunday, October 01, 2006

Art and Soul

Actually sold a photo off the little imodel.com store a while back, but somehow I missed the Paypal message. Last week, the buyer contacted me wondering where his print was, and it turns out he lives just a few miles from me, so I offered to just drop the print off to him. Last night he called to say he'd be around, so I went over with a few of my prints in hand.

Walked into his house and was absolutely floored. Very cool 40s or 50s ranch style home, but the thing that really set me back on my heels was the art. Wow. It was EVERYWHERE, and it was beautiful and it was real. Walls covered floor to ceiling with dozens of paintings spaced a couple inches apart. Antiques and sculptures and vintage furniture. I'd only ever seen that kind of home in magazine or movies. In addition to the art, he also has nifty collections of old cameras and other artifacts.

He's also collecting photography, and he showed me some amazing stuff he happened on from an estate sale, and other pieces he's acquired. It looks like what he showed me just skimmed the surface, too.

And he bought three of my photos.

I'm part of that kind of collection. I have to say it's a real honor. I won't mention his name because if I was him, I wouldn't want someone else telling the world about the fabulous and valuable art collection in my house. It's not like he's independently wealthy or anything, it's just that he's been spending the last ten years or so buying low, selling high, buying by the pile, selling by the piece, and always trading up. What was going to be a quick drop-off turned into about an hour's conversation and it was really very educational and enjoyable for me. He's a really nice guy and very generous with his knowledge and experience and even offered to let me borrow some items for photo props (including his cat!) and to connect me with another friend of his who has a stockpile of great potential props. I must also thank his lovely and charming wife for her hospitality and patience. I'm looking forward to a return visit sometime and really feel fortunate to have made another great contact through my photography. Thanks again!

The image is another of Alicia... not related to the entry, but worth sharing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds really cool, gary - congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Stunning image. The title seems to fit the image really well.