Friday, January 05, 2007

My take on Showcases


Here are three more images that received Showcases on the models' OMP portfolios in the past couple days. Thanks to the exotic Kristina (above and in yellow), and Brit - the ultimate "girl next door" - for being such wonderful models.

When I get an image Showcase on OMP, I mention it here because it is "news" of a sort -- a recognition of my work that I want to share, and they're also nice milestones for me as I follow my path. I realize a Showcase is not a Pulitzer Prize, it's not a feature in B&W Magazine, and 500 Showcases and two bucks still won't buy a gallon of gasoline. But as I discussed in my last post, it's a compliment. It's someone at OMP taking a moment to say "in my opinion, this image deserves a closer look." That someone looks at hundreds (thousands?) of images a day, and when an image breaks through the clutter, they take note. It may be that the model looks particularly good, or something about the execution stands out, or that particular someone has a thing for busty redheads or slim blondes. But every form of recognition has its own set of criteria, and by nature, artistic recognition is largely subjective and personal (and potentially influenced by interpersonal politics) -- whether it's someone leaving a comment on a blog, or an editor at ArtForum Magazine, or someone purchasing a print. Ultimately, the process is human -- flawed and imperfect, but it is what it is.

I also recognize that OMP is a business, and that informs their choices, too. They showcase images they believe will help attract new members, and to help photographers attract interest from models and vice versa, in an effort to make them feel they're getting value for being a member. It is far easier for me to book models now than a year ago, primarily because my work is improving, but I think the various Showcases do add a certain appeal.

I don't agree with their choices 100% of the time -- the images they DON'T choose as well as images they do -- but overall, I'd say the gallery of showcase images on any given day is a pretty impressive selection of work. So, I'll continue to do the best work I know how to do, include my favorite shots in my OMP portfolio, and if they get a Showcase, great. If not, my portfolio still has a batch of my favorite shots, which is what it's all about anyway, right?

This just in... Two more Showcases have popped up from Sativa's portfolio, including a shot with Nikki sportin' the other pair of boots. This was such a fun shoot! Thanks Sativa and Nikki!

No comments: