Thursday, November 15, 2007

Buy Nothing Day

Just a little early reminder that Buy Nothing Day is coming up next Friday, Nov. 23. As I mentioned last year, the objective is to try to get Americans to stop defining ourselves as consumers, and a first step is not joining in on the frenzied spending on the most heavily promoted shopping day of the year. Granted, it's not a big sacrifice for me to stay out of over-crowded stores, but I do try to observe by not buying meals out or shopping online. And honestly, I'm not sure they could discount anything enough to make me want to fight the traffic and crowds on that particular day. Probably will let myself sleep late, then try to catch up on editing and stuff a bit.

With so much economic bad news in the wind, and US savings rates at Depression-era levels, this year it makes more sense than ever to not join the crowd, not go further into debt by charging a lot of purchases, and maybe make plans to minimize gift giving, or go with more personal items, like something home made. So, consider simplifying your life, and Buy Nothing on November 23.

3 comments:

christian pélier said...

Good information !!! I follow you !

Anonymous said...

Lol! I wish.. everyone is going to be in my work like crazy.. I close that night..

IGMS said...

I think next year is shaping up nicely (badly) to be a real doozy economy-wise. And I don't think many Americans are ready for it at ALL.