Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Dirty minded...

This shot sort of reflects my state of mind trying to decide what to enter for the Dirty Show. The deadline is rapidly approaching, and I have a bunch of contenders, and a variety of input and opinions on what are the best choices. A lot of factors go into it... what will break through the clutter of several thousands of images being entered? Campy/funny or beautiful/artistic or just the most blatantly sexual images? (Yes, there have been a few of those from time to time.) I know I've complained on here before about similar situations, and in some ways, it's a good problem to have, as opposed to having too few suitable images to enter. I just seem to choose differently from almost anyone else, so do I pick what *I* like best, or what I think is going to get me in the show, or what other people think will get me in?

I know some people shoot things specifically for a certain show or event just a few weeks before they're needed. I tend to keep this show in the back of my mind all year, so when an idea or situation presents itself, I shoot images thinking "THAT will be a good one for Dirty." So, here I sit with a bunch of images from the past year, trying to narrow it down to just four shots. Another factor is the image submissions are limited to 504 pixels high or wide, which just seems tiny to me (images I post here are generally 800 pixels) so picking something that will "read" at that size is important.

I thought I'd come in tonight and get it all figgered out, but I'm more confuseder than before I started. I may just pick images from a hat before this is over...

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hi, I can't find any contacts on your blog. Can I ask you to send a note for me? My email is in profile.
Thanks, Chris

Anonymous said...

I know you won't just pick them out of a hat and feel confident they will be up to your usual high standards.
I just wish we had something like the Dirty Show here in the Chicago area. It seems that the Detroit area has a nice Photography Art or what ever you call it scene going. I don't find anything like it in Chicago.

D. L. Wood

Gary M Photo said...

Hi D.L.
A number of Chicago photographers were in last year's Dirty Show, and I'm confident will be in this year's as well. It's free to enter, and only a 4 or 5 hour drive from Chicago... you have until midnight Dec 31 to send a few things. Go for it!

www.dirtydetroit.com