Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Progress, not perfection...

This is Stephanie, who was basically my first proper studio shoot subject back in 2005. I believe I was one of the first few people she'd worked with at that point, too. This is arguably about the best shot I managed, but that's no reflection on Stephanie. Looking back at the images, it's pretty clear I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing and made a lot of the common 'rookie errors' that day, but I had to start somewhere, and what we got was an improvement over what each of us had in our portfolios up to that point. Stephanie has gone on to do a lot of beautiful work with a variety of photographers in the area, and maybe our paths will cross again.

Fast forward to now... or almost now. This is from a set I just finished editing yesterday. The model is Ehme (pronounced the way Timmy from South Park might) and I really love a lot of what we got out of the shoot. You'll be seeing more in the next few days, no doubt. Now, I still shoot some straight-up fashion like the one of Stephanie (with a bit more skill, I hope), but going through the shots of Ehme, I was pleased at the variety we managed to achieve, but also feel like there's more depth as well. Hopefully this is an indication of progress.

This entry started out being about an entirely different topic, but a bit of wisdom Rose prompted me to use this entry as a chance to reflect on my progress, bolstered by my satisfaction with the Ehme images. Ac-centuate the positive, e-lim-inate the negative and all that. Thanks ladies!

No comments: