Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Slave to the (bio)Rhythm

Back about when I was in junior high school (or "middle school" as it's now known), there was a trendy pseudoscience going around called bioryhthms, the idea that the mind and body operated on predictable cycles of a fixed number of days that could be plotted on a graph. The days where the curve was above the line meant you were in a good physical, emotional, or intellectual state, and the days below would not be so good. The days where the curve crossed the line were "critical" as you shifted from one state to another, and you should be very careful on those particular days. It's an idea that's been around since the late 1800's and I think the advent of the cheap pocket calculator in the 70s made it easy to figure biorhythms and revived the idea for a while. There's now a Mac widget that plots your biorhythms for you, and it runs on my machine, even though I don't pay much attention to it. But while checking my weather widget, I couldn't help but notice the plotted chart shown here... a virtual low-energy trainwreck for the weekend ahead.

While I only put slightly more stock in this than I would a horoscope, I have to say there is a good chance it's going to be accurate. I'm on week two of a bout of bronchitis, the weather is horrible, and I have a lot of good things crammed into about 36 hours this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, I just hope I'm up to it! But I guess forewarned is forearmed, so I'm just going to pace myself, do good work, and enjoy everything as much as possible.

I know the biorhythm chart isn't very sexy, so here's the lovely Angie, obviously at the top of her biorhythmic curves.

No comments: