Monday, November 13, 2006

Picture yourself in a boat on a river...

Never having indulged in recreational drugs, I was a little curious about the experience of heavy-duty painkillers that might be prescribed after surgery. I'd hear people talk like "ooh, vicodin, you'll be feeling REAL GOOD" and so on. Have to say I've been unimpressed... the morphine administered in the hospital didn't seem to do anything but make me sleepy with some mildly weird dreams and a "divergent reality" effect. I'd be looking at someone speaking or doing something, my eyes would close but I'd continue to see the person, who might appear to walk to the other side of the room, then I'd open my eyes and the person hadn't moved at all. But I didn't really use the morphine button more than one or two times in the hospital, and the generic painkiller I was prescribed seems to have little or no effect (even on pain). But again, I'm not taking two every six hours as allowed, but maybe one or two a day, since the pain has been mild. So, either I'm doing it wrong, or I'm not giving into the placebo effect, or I wouldn't recognize euphoria if it sat in my lap.

This shot is of the model called "Kaleidescope Eyes" which seemed appropriate for this entry...

No comments: