Sunday, August 12, 2007

Black & White

The other day I posted some shots of Lee St. Tragedy (at top) from the "House of Nightmares" shoot onto MySpace and used one of his shots as my "avatar" there, which prompted a female friend of mine to ask (a) "Hey, you photographed a GUY?" and (b) "is he your first black model?" The answers were "yes" (I've shot a number of guys, solo or with a female model) and "no" (I have worked with a few black models). Her question about black models led me to look through my files and round up these shots. From the top we have Lee, Sabrina, Shana, LaPrincess, Destiny, Simeon, and "Z" (who would probably like me to point out that hers is an IMPLIED topless shot). There is one more, but maybe I shouldn't post her here. (I might do a "male model" round-up entry sometime, if anyone's interested.)

As for black female models, I have found very few around here who do art nude work, but if I can find more who look as good as Sabrina or Shana, you'll see them here...

Postscript: I started this entry several days ago, and have been "pushing it around on my plate" before posting it a few minutes ago. I was catching up on reading some other blogs just now when, as seems to happen once in a while, there's a recent post on the same topic over on Don Nelson's Hotel Room Nudes. He said something that I was trying to figure out how to say, but couldn't so didn't: "Anyway, it feels funny categorizing women as Black or Not Black, but it shouldn't. The skin's color and texture makes a huge difference in how one photographs it and the photographic treatment will be different. The human factor is not affected in any way." He also said "I don't photograph nearly enough Black women and am looking forward to this" so it seems we agree on that as well. Synchronicity strikes again.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I would be interested in a "male model round-up" -- yeehaw! love the photo of St. Tragedy.