Friday, August 17, 2007

Pose Prose

Just finished editing my most recent shoot with Aurora (aka Dreamscapes) from last month, just in time for my next shoot with her this weekend. It was another quick session, but I liked a lot of what we got, and "finished" a pretty high percentage of them, even variations on a pose. I do tend to overshoot a pose if I like it, as I just make small adjustments to the pose or my position or camera settings to get it just so. Logically, the last one would be the best one, right? But that's not always the case. Often, it's the first one, which gives me pause -- what if each shot was a different pose? The first shot of a pose has the benefit of spontenaity and can be the most natural looking pose. Sometimes though, it is necessary to fine tune it because the model's position in the light could be better or any number of reasons. If I coach the model through fine tuning the pose, I'll take some frames of the tuned pose, then tell the model "OK, remember this pose, where your hand and hips are, and how you're standing and everything." Then, I'll tell them to just stand up relaxed, hands at their side, and take a deep breath, THEN go back to the pose as they remember it. Sometimes they'll hit it just perfectly with an added natural element that really makes it feel right.

In addition to this weekend, it looks like I'll also get some time with her next weekend as well.

No comments: